Big Green Egg Tomahawk Pork Chop: How To Cook A Tomahawk Pork Chop On The Big Green Egg.
Discover our favourite method for cooking a tomahawk pork chop, which for us has to be on the Big Green Egg BBQ, which does an amazing job of rendering down the fat on the Tomahawk pork chop to make a gorgeous, melt in your mouth dining experience!
Method In Outline
- Get the Big Green Egg up to temperature (180 degrees Centigrade) with the Conveggtor and Stainless Steel cooking grid in place. See our “How to light the Big Green Egg” guide if required.
- Place the tomahawk pork chop in the centre of the Egg for 20 minutes.
- Check the temperature of the pork – 75C required for two minutes to kill off bacteria.
- If not cooked, keep checking at 5 minute invervals (we also just talk to our Apple Watch to remind us to check otherwise we overcook every time. “Hey siri, timer 5 minutes” does the job every time.
- Once the temperature is reached, place the tomahawk pork chop on the edge of the grid over the coals to reverse sear the fat (one of the three gaps naturally left by the Conveggtor)
- Leave for 3-5 minutes then turn over to sear the other side.
- Once the fat is nicely seared, remove and rest on a wooden chopping board (cover lightly with tin foil).
- Enjoy with some fresh lemon juice, some salad, potatoes, or just all on its own (its a big bit of meat).
This is what you will end up with:
What Is A Tomahawk Pork Chop?
It is this beast: